Saturday, February 15, 2014

Getting Ready for WRAD14- Blogging Challenge




Last year Curtis Elementary students participated in LitWorld's World Read Aloud Day, (well WEEK actually for us!) and the students had a great time connecting and reading with others!

A great description of the purpose of this event is found on the LitWorld's website:

"World Read Aloud Day is about taking action to show the world that the right to read and write belongs to all people. World Read Aloud Day motivates children, teens, and adults worldwide to celebrate the power of words, especially those words that are shared from one person to another, and creates a community of readers advocating for every child’s right to a safe education and access to books and technology."

 We are preparing for this year's event and I have decided to join Matthew Winner in a blog challenge this year. You can read his posts HERE.  

Week 1 writing prompt is: 

What is your earliest or fondest memory in which someone read aloud to you?


Photo from http://quixoticbibliophile.blogspot.com/ 
As much as I love to read, I know my mom must have read a lot to me. The older I get, the foggier the memories become, but one memory I clearly have is owning a set of Childcraft encyclopedia, much like these

and I remember my mom reading the different stories from Stories and Fables volume. My favorite was the story about the monkeys swinging in the tree. Mom would change her voice for the different monkeys, and I'm sure I would have her read it multiple times. We held onto the encyclopedia set for many years, and then I took them with me once I had children. The information was outdated, and the books definitely had a musty smell about them, but still I took them. Later, I got rid of all of the volumes except the Stories and Fables one, which I still have. 

Teachers also have the ability to create reading memories for their students.  As a librarian, I soon learned the favorite authors of our teachers because their students would rush to check-out the books by that author once their teacher started a read aloud. Students and adults alike have shared with me their memories of a teacher reading aloud to them, and I also have a similar memory.  The favorite part of the day for me as a 3rd grader was right after lunch when Mrs. Franklin would perch on the top of her desk and read to us. Oftentimes the only light was the sunlight streaming through the dusty metal blinds.

 Charlotte's Web was one of my favorite books that she read to us that year. I remember anxiously awaiting each day's reading to find out what would happen next. I remember it being peaceful, and losing myself in the story. It was a time I looked forward to!



This year, we will celebrate World Read Aloud Day throughout the week of March 3-7. We will connect with students all around our country, and we will connect with authors who are so generous with their time. You can read about what we did last year in this Scholastic article  written by Natalie Lorenzi about Read Across America Day (which is why we celebrate all week!) We are so excited about this week and "celebrating the power of words"! Join us!

What are your plans for WRAD14? 

1 comment:

  1. This is my first World Read Aloud Day. I wish that I could Skype, but it is still not allowed yet in my district. Trying to figure out how to connect within my own building.

    ReplyDelete