Tuesday, January 29, 2013

It's Treat Tuesday!! Reading & Snacking!


It's my favorite day of the week!  The day where I share books and snacks! Thanks to Shannon Houghton for this great meme picture and Niki Barnes for the great idea!

As usual, I start out Tuesday just sure that I won't be able to get this post in on time, and then I finish a book that I must share!!  

 
Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson is a wonderful historical fiction story based partly on Larson's own great-grandmother's experience as a homesteader in Montana in the early 1900's. Hattie, who has bounced around from relative to relative after her parents die, is given land in Montana by an uncle she never knew.  Hattie sees this as an opportunity to create a home for herself and not be indebted to anyone.  She has a year to "prove up" the land and meet certain requirements before the land will be hers.  This year proves to be very challenging, but also incredibly rewarding. 

 I loved this book for many reasons!  I loved that Hattie is a strong female character which an incredible will to succeed and a very strong work ethic!  I loved the many other characters that Larson wove throughout this story!  I loved Hattie's ability to see what relationships were worth her time, and which ones weren't!  I loved her ability to be optimistic, even in difficult times!  I loved that this book made me laugh and cry!  And I especially love that through Twitter and The Nerdy Book Club, I find out about exceptional books such as this!!  

And because I loved this book so much, I felt it was only fitting that I pair it with Valentine's candy!! Chocolate hearts & Kisses!  Yum! Yum!

Happy Reading and Snacking!!  

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you shared this book. It was perfect and charming. I loved it so much I gave it to my mother to read. When you truly love a book, you want to share it with everyone. I love the part about the ornery cow. I researched sugar water for setting a hairdo after reading that Hattie did. I encourage you to read Hattie Ever After to see what happens next in Hattie's world. Will she settle down with Charlie or will she put her writing skills to use and become the next Nellie Bly?

    ReplyDelete