Monday, August 12, 2013

Getting Ready & Getting Focused!

I have always loved the beginning of the school year! It is a time for new beginnings for everyone-- students, staff, and even our teaching environment!  After a wonderful vacation, I am ready for the new school year and will be in the library this week getting things ready.  Here is a before picture of our library:

 
 

It is a little fuzzy, but my brain is also a little fuzzy with all of the ideas I have for our physical space, as well as the lessons I want to teach, and the books I want to share, and the tools I want to use, and.... you get the picture.  There is a lot to do, but I can't wait to tackle my to-do list!

One of the things that I'll be using this year to become less "fuzzy" and more focused is the book 18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done by Peter Bregman. 
 
The premise of the book is that we should focus on five areas that will have the greatest impact on our life, and make sure that each day, the majority of the things on our to-do list are focused on these areas. That by spending just 18 minutes (some in the morning, some throughout the day, and some at the end of the day) we should stay on track. I'm ready to try!
 
And, as usual, my Twitter PLN has offered support!  Several others are also reading this book and a Google Hangout is in the works so that we can share our progress!  Thanks to Sherry & Cynthia for holding me accountable for staying focused & getting things done!!
 
Hopefully, by the end of the week, the picture will be clearer, and things will be marked off my to-do list.  The RIGHT THINGS! 
 
How do you stay focused?  I would love to see how other libraries are coming along as we prepare to welcome our students back!
 
Happy Back to School!


No comments:

Post a Comment